Cancer Research »
On a per capita basis, Israel invests more in R & D and has the highest proportion of PhDs and biotechnology start-up companies in the world. This has enabled Israeli researchers to be global leaders in fighting cancer, with major breakthroughs including:
- Pin-sized radioactive implants that beam short-range alpha radiation from within tumors, forgoing devastating radiation therapy and leaving only non-radioactive and non-toxic quantities of lead in the patient. Described as anti-cancer “cluster bombs”, this innovative technique was discovered at Tel Aviv University, where it is about to enter clinical trials.
- An ingestible capsule that performs x-rays of the intestinal system with minimal radiation – created by the Israeli start-up Check-Cap. This tiny device allows for the early detection of polyops with a range of accuracy equal to a colonoscopy, allowing for early detection of colon cancer without patient sedation, preparation, or invasiveness.
- A ground-breaking new blood test that enables doctors to detect cancer in 90% of patients, providing an effective, easy, and inexpensive method of early detection for a wide range of cancers. Early trial of this technique at Beersheba’s Soroka Medical Centre and Ben Gurion University has proven promising.
- ImMucin, a new and revolutionary vaccine developed in Israel by Vaxil Biotherapeutics. ImMucin “teaches” the body’s immune system to target cancer cells without harming healthy cells and with very low side effects. It is estimated that ImMucin could prevent about 90% of cancers from returning to patients.
- Electro-optic medical devices that use proprietary pulsed light technology, designed by Israeli firm ESC Medical Systems for non-invasive treatment of skin cancer and benign lesions.
- Israeli researchers find that introduction of BKT140 leads to the death of cancerous lung tumor cells and a reduction in the size of the growths.
To learn more click here